Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tacky kitsch

Have you ever been given a gift that is too tacky for words? Something that you just go, "Oh My GOD!" what am I going to do with this? Of course you have, we all have. We might even have been the one to do the giving. After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, even if they might be blind. Such is the occasion today when a dear person brought probably one of the most ... well... words cannot even begin to explain. The thought was genuine and appreciated. So what do you do when you get something like this? I tried to put it into the recycle box but had to retrieve it when I realized that it is made out of a compound that is not native to this part of the world. So I don't think it is recyclable. I will have to find a "special" place for it and keep it safe for the gift giver to see when they come to visit (which is almost daily!) What I would like to know though is who thinks up these tacky bits of kitsch? Is there a plethora of art school dropouts/failures that set up their own shop and make a fortune out of designing things so ugly that they sell like hot cakes? I mean when you go into some of these "kitsch" shops you are bowled over by the crap that they try to sell, even more knocked off your perch by the amount they actually do sell! Even in Paris there are hundreds of wee hole in the wall vendors selling pink sparkly versions of the Eiffel Tower (don't worry, I passed it by) or velvet impressions of the Mona Lisa (OK, that one I had to get for the neighbour who watered my plants and took out the garbage). Really the selection is sublime. I guess it all appeals to the old school of thought of "I really should get a little something for the neighbour who waters my plants and took my garbage out for me while I was away on this wonderful holiday, but I don't really want to spend more than $1.89 on them", oh look, a velvet picture of the Mona Lisa, even better, buy one get one half price, yippee! There now I can give one to someone else who I don't really want to spend any money on getting them something, to show them how much I appreciate them. Ah, we have all done it. It is human nature. That is why there will always be this plastic crap available... because it sells.
Planning my next holiday... and what to bring back for you...
till next time,
Cat x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home