Friday, April 16, 2010

A Pocketful of ...

I think I must have a bit of bloodhound in my genetic makeup. I have (well I think) a very good sniffer when it comes to smells. I can smell things that other people do not seem to notice. At work there has been a pile of the doc's outerwear sitting in the laundry box for a while. Don't get me wrong he is very fastidious but he is also very busy and has a fear of the Nazi laundromat attendant (think Jerry Seinfeld's soup Nazi guy). Today I could take it no longer. The smell of blood and manure was making me feel quite ill, yet no-one else seemed to notice it. Now when the doc goes to do his surgeries (usually in a field or a barn) he loads up all his pockets with things that he might need- scalpels, needles, tape even Canadian tire money. These are just a few of the things that I found while I was cleaning out his pockets getting the items ready for the wash. I picked up one of the pairs of coveralls and noticed that the one side seemed heavy in the pocket area, I stuck my hand into the pocket and felt something hard and stiffly haired... hmmm... what could it be. Now most of you would be going " Mama always said don't stick your hand in somewhere where you can't see" and my mother probably said the same thing at some point, but, as usual I never paid much attention to all the good advice she was giving me. Imagine my surprise when I pulled out my hand to find a piece of cow horn in it. It was semi fresh. The blood had dried, but the horn was still pinkish on the inside and the hair was still all firmly attached. I set the large and the smaller version on the desk for the doc, I figured they must be important scientific specimens if he had been holding on to them. So, now I know that my nose is a little sensitive, to have sniffed out those old horns in a pile of dirty, bloody, shitty laundry I must be a least 4/16'Th's bloodhound or vampire or maybe just a true carnivore. Now when I go into work tomorrow the only thing I should smell is the sweet scent of Chinese laundry. All the doc's surgical garments are washed and hanging blissfully from the ladder drying. I love the smell of fresh laundry, don't you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home