Monday, January 11, 2010

The Point of Fairy Tales

I am reading a great book called "The Great Cat Massacre." Quite a catchy title don't you think? Even the author, Robert Darnton, is quick to point out this fact. I am not too far into this literary eclair but already it is a delicious read. Mr. Darnton has introduced me to a few new words like- exegesis. Don't know what it means- look it up- I had to. He also uses great old quotes that I have never heard before like " He who is snotty, let him blow his nose." Now other than the obvious, there is also another meaning to this little ditty, but you'd have to read the book to find out what it is. Did you know that in the 18th century there was an obsession with braiding dung to display on manure heaps? Now around this farm we have all sorts of manure, and I will be the first to say that I have never, ever obsessed over braiding some of that shit. Not only do I not know how to braid manure, I don't know how I would possibly braid, what could only be described (in consistency) as loose brown oatmeal.
One thing that I have found very interesting is the fact (according to Mr. Darnton) that most fairy tales, nursery rhymes and unusual practices were circulated and kept alive by peasants, French peasants no less. After reading this fact I had an Oprah a-ha moment. This little tidbit of information explains why I have a love of reading, writing, words and the learning of the French language , I come from a long line of European peasants, gypsies and rogues. Now everything makes sense, thanks Mr. Darnton.
So I close again for another day, thankful for the peace of being happy where I am, ensconced in my own little world reading about the weird and wonderful practices of some of my ancestors.
Cheers,
Cat x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home