Friday, January 8, 2010

Pass the Fear Factor

Watching my son do gymnastics I am reminded of the theory of evolution... of how we are supposedly evolved from the monkey. Watching Anthony jump, tumble and roll I realize that some of us have ventured a little further away from that banana grove than others. There is not only the question of dexterity, I mean, given enough warm up time I can almost get my ankles up around my ears ( sometimes a litre or two of white wine helps) but mostly it is the total absence of fear. The fear of falling, the fear of not getting it quite right and the greatest fear of all... failure in front of an audience. I used to ski (downhill) when I was younger. Growing up in the Gatineau region I was offered fabulous ski opportunities with my school mates. But it seemed that once I reached the ripe old age of 20 I developed a new sense of fear. It's not as if I'd grown a foot taller, taking me just that much further from the earths surface, I just plain lost my nerve. It is this fear that has ceased all attempts to ski downhill, put a halt to my dream of shark wrestling (Ha, not likely that I was ever going to try that!) Nah, I am quite happy to sit on the side lines and watch my little monkey fly through the air with the greatest of ease with absolutely no fear at all, may his naive abandon last for many years to come. To those of you who live life fearlessly... I raise my glass of courage and salute you! So be happy where ever you are- whether you are filled with courage or looking for a shred of bravery to face your fears- go forth and conquer!
Cheers!
Cat

2 Comments:

At January 9, 2010 at 9:16 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is fun reading your blog. So true about loosing your fear when you're older - kids have no fear. I have a fear of teenagers and they're my own! I'm glad Anthony enjoys gymnastics so much and is doing so well - it's a fun sport to watch especially when you kid is out there giving it his all.

 
At January 9, 2010 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Cat Haynes said...

Thanks Janice... I think you are the only one reading, and you seem to be my number one fan! I owe you lunch!
Cheers, Cat x

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home