Sunday, June 20, 2010

Fathers Day

My generation has a different perspective on fathers’ than what I think the present generation has. In my day (gawd I sound old) the father was someone who you respected and tried to please. You feared him, adored him and tried to be very quiet around him. You would never dream of calling him by his first name, even if you knew it, and you knew you were in for it when your mother said “wait till your father gets home”. Dad was always the decision maker “ask your father” as my mother would say, unless it was something that was only going to cause father grief then it was a whispered, “ok, just don’t tell your father”. Dad was not to be bothered with trivial matters as he was too busy making a living for the family. Nowadays it is a different story. If there are two parents in the household they are usually both working. I hear dads’ being called by their first names all the time, maybe this is a good thing, maybe not. Respect seems to be a sorely missed pillar in today’s’ society. Whatever the changes, may all you Fathers’ enjoy your day. Here are some sayings to get you on your way.
He didn't tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. ~Clarence Budington Kelland
It is not flesh and blood but the heart which makes us fathers and sons. ~Johann Schiller
A father carries pictures where his money used to be. ~Author Unknown
When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years. ~Mark Twain, "Old Times on the Mississippi" Atlantic Monthly, 1874
Dad, you're someone to look up to no matter how tall I've grown. ~Author Unknown
Old as she was, she still missed her daddy sometimes. ~Gloria Naylor
Dad, your guiding hand on my shoulder will remain with me forever. ~Author Unknown
And finally for all the baseball playing dads’ -
Spread the diaper in the position of the diamond with you at bat. Then fold second base down to home and set the baby on the pitcher's mound. Put first base and third together, bring up home plate and pin the three together. Of course, in case of rain, you gotta call the game and start all over again. ~Jimmy Piersal, on how to diaper a baby, 1968

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home