Sunday, March 7, 2010

Sunday

When I was a teenager, Sunday was the worst day of the week for me. My father would start to get into a depressed state as it was back to the old grindstone on the morrow. My mother would be anxious as it would mean the return to her routine of housecleaning, cooking and childminding. Friday nights and Saturdays were days of relaxation, shopping, or doing odd jobs round the house. As we had no family other than ourselves, there was no need to worry about going to see Auntie Jane or Uncle Frank to make them happy, as there was no Auntie Jane or Uncle Frank. No Sunday dinners with all the long lost relatives over for a free meal. I don't think it bothered my parents too much that they were so far removed from their families (ocean away) as they just loved each other and were quite happy living in their own little world. We never had company over, they never went to company parties, nothing, it was just us . Having grown up in that environment I have lived my life the exact opposite. I love to have friends and company over, to go out and have fun. I would rather cook a dinner for 15 than for 3. I don't think my parents had a lot of fun, or maybe I was wrong, they just had fun with each other and never let us kids in on the act. There is that old saying about you can't pick your family but you can pick your friends. I pick lots of friends. I like to think that I have a cornucopia of friends. Different friends for different things. You know what I mean, there is the friend who is great for philosophical conversations, the comedic friend who is always in a good mood and can make you laugh. There is even the "all knowing" friend who fills you in on all the goings on in the community without it sounding like the front page of the gossip magazine. There is the friend who always seems to have such crap happen to them, that your life doesn't seem so bad after all. Like I said, all kinds of friends for all kinds of reasons. I would like to thank my friends, I treasure them all. I have a treasure chest full of silver, gold, rubies and emeralds... some are a little tarnished and missing a few links... but friends none the less. Here's too you,
Cheers,
Cat x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home