Friday, May 28, 2010

Batter Up and Batter Out

I have been so nervous about playing baseball. I bought a nice purple glove for catching the ball, a nice pair of gloves (white and pink) for when I go up to bat. I bought the nice Nike cleats (Pete said, "get cleats, cause if you slide and pull a groin muscle, you won't be happy") that have a spot to slide in my team colour (gold ya know!) I had the nice black and pink Mizuno bag from a long time ago (just loved the colours so bought it) to put all my gear in. Put the lip gloss and spare socks in too, along with my Crystal Light, gotta stay hydrated, fine balance between staying hydrated and over drinking to the point of having to go pee every five minutes. Don't you just hate those little blue houses? So I am sitting there in the dugout, no one really talking to me, just checking things out. One player brought a whole bucket of Double Bubble, I was glad to see that, it meant that I was not the only one with the jitters. The first inning I was sitting out, which was fine by me, gave me a chance to see how things go. Second inning I was put on first base. What the hell were they thinking? First base has a lot of responsibility to it, I mean that ball comes at you and you have to try to get that runner out. The pressure was on. Batter up... strike one... ball one... strike! This time the bat and ball made contact, that ball was flying along the ground coming straight at me. Holy shit, I have to get that ball. I bent over to scoop up the ball on the run, but it was going so hard and fast that it flew up my leg over my glove and nailed me in the throat. Ouch, no time for the pain, fumbled with the ball and got a hold of it, at the same time I stumbled and fell to the ground (there go my clean pants) I scrambled on the ground, half crawling, half sliding to touch that base.... I managed in the nick of time to flail myself over the base and say "OUT!" The crowd went wild, I mean holy crap, I couldn't believe that I had actually made the save and got the batter out! People were high fiving me, asking me if I was OK, WOW, I love this game. I did manage to hit the ball once when it was my turn. I only made it to first base, but that is OK, at least I "touched the green" (means you hit the green ball) and saved face. I play again on Monday night, can't wait, but I think I'm going to wear bigger underwear. Wearing a thong in marshland is rather painful, the mosquitoes were having a great time with my butt!
Till next time... looking for a neck guard,
Cat x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home